GAINESVILLE, July 27, 2018
In June, CareerSource NCFL assisted 544 businesses hiring for 469 available positions. 2,831 Alachua and Bradford County residents were assisted by the Gainesville and Starke career centers. Employment in the professional and business services industry grew by 8.5% year-over-year.
The Department of Economic Opportunity also provided more economic indicators for the Gainesville MSA, including:
- Nonagricultural employment in the Alachua-Bradford County region was 139,900 in June 2018, an increase of 1.4% from a year ago.
- Bradford and Alachua Counties were ranked fifth and sixth among the lowest unemployment rates, at 3.6% and 3.7% respectively, out of all 66 Florida counties. The lowest rate, 3.1%, was recorded in St. Johns and Okaloosa Counties.
The Gainesville MSA added 1,900 jobs since June 2017 – a 1.4% annual increase.
The other services (+4.7%) and professional and business services (+8.5%) industries grew faster in the metro area than statewide over the year.
- The industries gaining in jobs over the year were the education and health services (+300 jobs); professional and business services (+1,200 jobs); government (+300 jobs); mining, logging, and construction (+100 jobs); wholesale trade (+100 jobs); and other services (+200 jobs). There were no changes in the financial activities and transportation, warehousing, and utilities industries.
- In June, the Alachua-Bradford County region saw the biggest growth in the professional and business services and the government industries.
- The Alachua-Bradford County region’s over-the-year growth rate in the professional and business services industry was stronger than statewide growth rates in the industry (8.5% growth rate compared to the state’s 1.9% growth rate).