September 25, 20 19 (Gainesville, Fla.) — CareerSource North Central Florida Executive Director Frank Avery today announced that the Alachua and Bradford County unemployment rate was 3.3% in August, according to the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. The regional labor force was 147,497, up 1,997 available workers over the past year.
In August, CareerSource NCFL assisted 372 businesses in hiring for 705 available positions. Businesses posted 372 jobs over the last month. More than 2774 Alachua and Bradford counties residents were assisted at the Gainesville and Starke career centers, including 100 veterans. Employment in education and healthcare positions grew by 400 jobs year-over-year.
This month the Gainesville Metro Services Area has seen the fastest annual-job growth rate compared to all other statewide metro service areas in professional and business services (+4.7 percent) and trade, transportation, and utilities (+1.9 percent).
“Despite the low unemployment rate, we know there are many people seeking a return to the workforce or to improve their current position,” said CareerSource North Central Florida Board Chair Dr. Jeffrey Tate. “Now is the time – when businesses urgently need well-trained workers to grow – for CareerSource North Central Florida to provide them with the well-trained talent they need. CareerSource North Central Florida is committed to ensuring Floridians are trained in the high-demand skills its business customers need in order to continue to expand the economy.”
The Department of Economic Opportunity also provided more economic indicators for the Gainesville MSA (Alachua and Gilchrist counties), including:
- Nonagricultural employment in the Gainesville MSA (Alachua and Gilchrist counties) was 143,300 in August 2019, an increase of 1.1% over the year.
- In August, the Gainesville MSA (Alachua and Gilchrist counties) saw the biggest growth in professional and business services; education and health services; and mining, logging, and construction.
- The Gainesville MSA (Alachua and Gilchrist counties) professional and business services and trade, transportation, and utilities, was highest in annual growth compared to all the other statewide metro areas.
- The Gainesville MSA (Alachua and Gilchrist counties) gained 1,500 jobs over the year, led by professional and business services (+700 jobs). Other major industries gaining jobs included trade, transportation, and utilities (+400 jobs); education and health services (+400 jobs); government (+200 jobs); and mining, logging, and construction (+100 jobs).
- The unemployment rate in the CareerSource NCFL region (Alachua and Bradford counties) was 3.3% one year ago.